Through our kids’ junior golf programs that strengthen character, kids will learn life skills that stay with them into the rest of their lives, like:
- Understanding and managing emotions
- Resolving conflicts
- Setting up step-by-step goals
- Planning for the future
- Appreciating diversity
Advancing through the LIFE SKILLS CURRICULUM
Kids ages 5–18 progress through different levels by demonstrating the First Tee’s Nine Core Values, life and golf skills as well as passing an assessment. All participants start at the PLAYer level (except for kids ages 5-6 which begin at Pre-Par). The pinnacle of the First Tee is completing Ace.
- Pre-Par (ages 5–6) – The youngest golfers are introduced to the nine core values, golf fundamentals, etiquette and rules in an environment that promotes curiosity for the game.
- PLAYer (age 7+) – Tee up for the first time and learn the game of golf and the First Tee’s Code of Conduct.
- Par (age 9+) – Focus on interpersonal and self-management skills on and off the course.
- Birdie (age 11+) – Emphasis on setting goals and making them a reality.
- Eagle (age 13+) – Learn resilience, conflict resolution, and future planning.
- Ace (age 14+ or rising 9th grader) – Put it all together and hone in on setting goals, career education, and giving back to the community.
You will be taken to the YMCA of South Hampton Roads online registration portal.
Scholarships for participation are available thanks to generous donations to the First Tee Hampton Roads annual giving campaign.